Jalie City Coat
I decided I needed to make a muslin before cutting into my $50 fabric (most I've spent for a single garment) and was happy when I found this ponte (I think it's ponte anyways) on the fabric clearance wall at fabricland. Before starting I added an inch in length to the upper bodice (my usual modification) and cut it out.
The pockets were gaping a bit so I added about an inch to the side seams to give myself a bit more room in the hips and tummy and then nervously cut out my softshell.
My frugal self did regret buying such a drab colour for a spring coat, but I wanted to make sure that it would go with everything as I just don't have a nicer lighter coat in wardrobe to swap out. Despite the dull (but practical!) colour, I love this coat. It's nice and warm with the fleece backing.
I haven't tested it out in the rain, but it's been rather chilly here lately and I was nice and warm walking the kids to the bus this morning despite the sub-zero temperatures and snow flakes (yes, at the end of April folks!).
Looking at the back here, I could probably do a small sway back adjustment and narrow the shoulders a bit for a future version, but my limited experience in modifying patterns makes me worry I might lose range of motion. I'll give myself a break and enjoy the fact that this is long enough for me, compared to many of my other clothes. I did leave off the button holes and opted for snaps instead so I wouldn't screw up the button holes. I do have a few adjustments to do to the snap placements (and reverse the snap I sewed on backwards - oups), but I'll keep wearing it in the meantime.
I have a few colourful scarves to add some colour to it. I knit this one up a couple years ago using left-over sock yarn.
Overall I'm very happy with it. I'm slowly learning that using better quality, though scary because of the financial hit should I screw up, leads to garmentsI love much more. I'm just so excited that my skill is finally getting to the point I feel I can invest a little more in fabric.